Saturday, November 8, 2014

Smashbox On the Rocks palette: Swatches and First Impressions

Hi everyone,

I love the Holiday season! Yes, I love getting together with family and friends, eating good food and having a great time, but the best part is the holiday palettes!

Today I have swatches and first impressions of Smashbox' On the Rocks Palette.

It is limited edition, $42 and available exclusively at Ulta

I did get last year's palette and while I like it, it does get overshadowed (no pun intended) by other palettes. I was not planning on getting this one but then I saw good reviews and decided to take a second look. Then came the Ulta 20% off coupon and I had to place the order.

The palette: 



I love the packaging: it is foamy, and catches the light beautifully though a bit too thick. 


It does not have cutesy names, and the silly plastic is annoying. I would much prefer when they are printed so that I can throw away the plastic. 

 It's so pretty



It comes with a look book!

The swatches: 



I will take them one square at at time from top left to right. 
Top Left: 
(from bottom to top)
Marzipan: a matte skin color 
Totally Nude: a matte brown with mauve tones 
Sumatra: a matte deep brown 
Ambient: a shimmer golden bronze  
Fizz: a shimmer champagne 

Top middle: 
(from bottom to top)
Sable: a matte mid-tone brown  
Cream: a shimmery crem color  
Midas: a shimmery/satin taupe  
Roast: a glittery brown, the glitter is gold and fine (not chunky) 
Zoom: a shimmery lime green with gold glitter   

Top Right: 
(from bottom to top)
Juniper: a satin brown taupe 
Peacock: a complex satin blue-green (though this description doesn't do it justice) 
Lavender: a satin lavender  
Sapphires: a satin vibrant blue  
Purple Mist: a satin purple taupe  

Bottom Left: 
(from bottom to top)
Navy: a matte dark blue 
Pastel: a mate light mauve 
Lilac: a satin purple 
Babycakes: a pink with silver glitter  
Royal: a dark burgundy that swatches matte but might have micro glitter 

Bottom Middle: 
(from bottom to top)
Mink: a shimmer lavender/gray taupe  
Moonlight: a glittery silver   
Snow: a matte white  
Framboise: a satin fuschia 
Asteroid: a deep shimmer gray  

Bottom Right: 
(from bottom to top)
Cabernet: a satin burgundy  
Smoke: a deep matte gray  
Gypsy: a shimmery green/gray   

First Impressions: 

I have not yet tried every single shadow but  so far I have really been loving these shadows! They are easy to blend and while a bit powdery not overly. There is a good variety of matte, satin, and glittery shades and there is a large variety of looks possible. 

I do have to say that I'm not 100% satisfied with the crease shades. Marxipan, Pastel, and Totally Nude work with certain looks but I might have to mix Totally Nude and Sable to for my perfect shade. For reference I am NC 42 in Mac shadows and usually Tan in Tarte and It Cosmetics. If you are either lighter or darker I don't think you will have a problem finding a good crease shade. So far my favorite color is Cabernet but I am excited to play with the blues and golds. 

I definitely think that this palette is worth it! Is it better than the other holiday palettes... this is in my top three. The top three being: Too Faced Everything Nice, Tarte's Away Oui Go and Smathbox On the Rocks. On the Rocks has more variety than Away Oui Go, and the shadows are more buttery than the Everything Nice. However, the butteriness also means that they are more powdery. The powderiness, I would say is comparable to Lorac shadows. 

I hope this helps as you decide, what palette to get! My next post will be looks I have done with this palette. So far I have loved every look.

Have a great weekend!
xoxo Cynthia


No comments:

Post a Comment